Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bottega


This years Melbourne Food and Wine Festival  very sadly passed me by. I  have no one to blame but myself, there were plenty of wonderful free events...but I did manage to get myself along to Bottega for an express lunch. Express lunch is a tried and true format, two courses, a glass of wine and coffee for $35.

I have had a few express lunches in my time, some good and some not so good. Bottega was most defiantly in the GOOD category. Unfortunately there are no photos, as I was completely caught up in the meal! 

I had a entre of heirloom tomato caprese salad with goats cheese and pumpkin rollo with burnt butter, sage and hazelnut for main. Both dishes were sensational. The heirloom tomatoes had a wonderful diversity of flavour and colour, from what I could tell there were tigerella, yellow pear, green zebra and black pear (love heirloom tomatoes!) the tartness of the goats cheese balanced the sweetness of the tomatoes,  while the addition of black olives and basil made a dish that was in perfect harmoney.   
Main course of pumpkin rollo was fantastic. It was kind of like a rolled up pumpkin lasagne, and looked a little like canelloni. Butter and sage is my new favourite thing, and I have noticed it cropping up on a few menu's around town. Its a wonderful seasonal combination of flavour. Topped of with a glass of sangiovese it was a throughly enjoyable meal. Very friendly and professional service, I highly recommend Bottega lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment