Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Shanghai Dumpling House

Over the Easter long weekend I made a very long trip up the Calder Highway. I could write about who has the best dim sims and potatoe cakes (FYI - Sealake) but I will spare you the details of my most disgusting food habits and move on to tell you about my road food come down. Shanghai Dumpling House.


It's not fancy, it's not classy, but it's a straight down the line, no fuss dumpling house. And I love the shit out of it. And sinfully cheap. If you have been in Melbourne for more than 5 minutes there is a good chance you have already eaten here.

This lunch was shared with my bf Jeff. I always reminisce when we come here, as it was one of the first places he took me when I moved here, and we both feel as enthusiastic now as we did back then about the place. I remember how overwhelmed I was the first time I ate here, the noise, the shared tables, and the picture of Chairman Mao on the wall next to the lucky cat. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t grow up in a town of no multiculturalism or restaurants, but you won’t find a place like this in Mildura.

We had a plate of steamed pork and a plate of mushroom and veg dumplings and a serve of Chinese broccoli and oyster sauce, covered liberally with chilli sauce. Washed down with Soy bean drink. Mmmm.

What I love about Shanghai Dumpling is that it never changes; the food is always exactly as I remember. It’s filling, it’s comforting and no other dumpling place seems to be able to knock it off my number one perch. For those of you who are not aware, its at 25 Tattersals lane, Chinatown. And this feast cost us a grand total of $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment