Monday, November 8, 2010

My little slice of CERES

Back in June all my dreams came true. 

I received a magical little email from the CERES Garden Collective informing me that I was now the trustee of a garden plot number 5. I was so astonished to be reading this news, I had been on the waiting list for almost two years, I had all but forgotten about signing up! I am now a paid up and proud Garden Collective member!

So over the past few months, I have lived and breathed my little garden. I'm pretty sure that all of my friends a sick of hearing about soil conditioning and planting seasons, but I am totally committed, and discovering that I have a pretty green thumb! 

Some early pics of the plot - July/August 





August/September





October

Growing veggies has been something I have been interested in for a while. I like the idea of organic, local produce, and CERES has given me the opportunity to have a really good go at producing. I have had varied amounts of success in pots at home. Last year I had a wicked tomato/chili/basil crop, but nothing else really took off, much to my disappointment! 

Growing at CERES has been an entirely pleasurable experience. I'm not eating from it every night, but I have had a bunch of stuff, and been able to share with friends. 

My winter/early spring crop included spinach (tons!), beetroot, baby carrots, lettuce and rocket! 

I am patiently waiting for my potatoes (six months in the growing!).  Late spring/early summer is an exciting season, I have sweet corn, eggplant, chili, tomato and zucchini growing at various stages. I really can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the sweet sweet tomatoes. 

I will make a separate post with some of the lovely dishes I have made from my loot.


1 comment: